Today is voting day as the Covid quarantine fell during our regular voting time. I feel like voting is a very important freedom that we can not take for granted. I have always thought that voting was important, and my parents were very involved in political party things as I grew up. Growing up the amount of political talk, news, and radio input drove me nuts.
However, as this year has unfolded I have had my eyes open to the importance of knowing who these people are that we are voting for, and what is the undercurrent of their purpose for running. There are so many voices speaking out right now, it is hard to know what to listen to. I always keep in mind the media I am listening to, and which candidates they are trying to ruin or push for. Even as I write that I am sad because they should be unbias and report the news! I am one hundred percent certain that many media companies have an agenda and they don't want certain people in office so, they are using their platform to cause fear and division in the country. Another thing I learned from my husband is to read the news instead of watching the news. This has allowed me to see the story from local perspectives and then compare it with the national news, it's amazing how much is left out of the national news to make it sound a certain way.
So, as this year continues to unfold, and sadly every decision that is made will be made a political issue, I will continue to study and search for the truth. I will not vote to just vote against someone, but I will vote with knowledge. I will study what the agenda is behind the people I am voting for, who is funding their compaign (therefore will be really the ones running the show), and most importantly I will be voting my beliefs and for freedom! I hope everyone takes seriously this responsibility as a citizen, and that they don't just vote based on one thing that may rub them the wrong way. We need to look at what do we want for our country, do we still want to be free Americans with the "right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness," or do we want to hand those freedoms over and become a country that is controlled by government.

Glad to hear that you are striving to be an informed voter. It is so confusing, at times, to get conflicting messages from candidates, the media, and the general public. One of the points you made in this blog could be a good literacy teaching point. Teach students to look for information that was left out of a report, story, letter, etc. What does this tell us? What do we infer?
ReplyDelete