For the most part the start of the school year is crazy enough, however, this year it is beyond crazy. I have never in my years of teaching seen a situation as unique as this years. I have the privilege of being on the leadership team at my school. We started the difficult conversations of how we are going to make this happen and what do our students and families need. No matter what choice is made there will inevitably be someone who is angry and unhappy with the choices made. One of the huge factors for my school is busses and space. Although Crooked River's construction has begun it is far from being ready.
We also discussed what we needed to do differently if we were remote teaching and what it might look like if we were in person. We are reading through and discussing The Distance Learning Playbook. This book is a good reminder of what good teachers do in the classroom, and how to take that type of teaching into the virtual classroom. Although I like the book and agree with all of the modules it goes over, it hinges upon one very important factor - parents being on board and getting their child to participate.
There is no easy answer for this fall. I just continue to pray that this pandemic will end. That the virus will disappear. I am also praying for our children, many will not get the education they deserve if we are not in person. I pray for leadership to have wisdom, but also to listen to the studies out their about children and pandemic. There are more factors involved than many people understand. I hope to be a positive help in this process no matter what the decision turns out to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment