I love having a fireplace in our home. It is cozy, the house is always toasty, and it's just pretty to watch. However, having a wood fireplace is not just work in the winter. The real work with a wood fireplace comes in the summer and fall! This is the time of year that we prepare and get our wood ready for the winter. Last year we needed a lot of wood stacked. This year we aren't in need of as much new wood, but we still need to move a lot of wood. Because I don't work in the summer I take on the job of stacking and organizing the wood.
This year it will be a little bit of a different job. First I need to move the older wood from the outside of our storage closer to our door so that we use this wood first. Thankfully we have a huge, heavy duty wheelbarrow that I can use to move it quicker. I throw the wood down into the wheelbarrow and then only have to pull it a few feet over to where I need to unload it. My mom came to help for a little bit today. I couldn't move wood for too long because it was so hot and humid that I started to get light headed. I will slowly chip away at this project and hopefully have it done before the new wood arrives and I continue the stacking and preparing process.


Stacking and moving wood on a hot, muggy day does not sound like fun, but I'll bet you felt like you had a good workout. It is always satisfying to look at your newly created stack and think ahead to how much you will appreciate it in the dead of winter.
ReplyDelete