Monday, June 29, 2020

Gardening Part 2

This summer is my 2nd year at my attempt at gardening.  I bought a number of my plants at a local garden called Hancock Farm.  I found out about this little gem of a farm when I had one of their twin girls as a student.  I wanted to support a local business since the corona virus had done a number on so many businesses.   While I was shopping I explained to the owner my problem with the squash beetles last year.  He quickly gave me the name of an organic, all natural bug killing called Captain Jack's Deadbug Brew.  As soon as my I spotted one of the gray pests I watered my entire garden with this stuff.  So far so good, no pests and my squash and cucumbers are looking very healthy.  I am still keeping an eye out for these pests and checking the underside of the leaves to makes sure they aren't multiplying under my nose.


So far this year has already been a better yield.  I am loving being able to walk down into my backyard and pick the lettuce and kale for my salads.  A couple of my tomato plants already have tiny green tomatoes forming.  Another new thing I am trying this year is liquid seaweed.  My husband and I have been watching Gardeners World on TV, and the host was always mentioning feeding your plants with liquid seaweed.  So, my husband picked up a large concentrated bottle of it, it is supper stinky, but I am really noticing it's affects.  
Liquid Seaweed
Salad with lettuce/kale from my garden

 

No comments:

Post a Comment