Friday, June 26, 2020

Gardening part 1

In 2015 we were blessed to buy our first single family home in Standish.  We loved our little home and neighborhood.  I quickly became friends with the neighbor across the street.  She had the most beautiful garden, and she was very passionate about her summer garden.   I quickly became inspired, and I wanted to have my own garden.  However, our lot was quite shaded and our yard wasn't quite ideal to start one.  

Fast forward to the summer of 2019, our first summer in our new home in Otisfield.  Here we had loads of sunshine and space to create a garden!  Now, as much as I would like to say I decided to create a huge garden, that is definitely not the case.  I had something in my mind, something I had found on Pinterest.  I wanted  a small 'u' shaped raised bed to dabble into the gardening world.  My dad is a builder so I immediately send him a picture and asked him if he could help me make the raised bed.  He got to work sketching out the plans and writing out the supply list for our project.  Next we were off to Home Depot to get what we needed.  I couldn't believe it, I was actually going to have my very own garden soon!
Collecting supplies

We were soon to work cutting and screwing boards together.  Then one day I planned to come over after work and dad had it pretty much finished and ready to go!  Now it was time to move it from my parents to my house and get gardening!
The beginning of piecing it together
Getting there, Watson do you want to be in the garden?
My first year of gardening was exciting and disappointing.  I can't say that I had a huge harvest at all, but I did get a few tomatoes, a summer squash, kale, herbs, and some lettuce.  Sadly, I had a pesky squash beetle decimate my cucumbers and summer squash.  This year I have learned some tricks of the trade, which I will share in my next post.  I am super glad that I embarked on this new hobby.  I am still learning, but this year is already turning out to be a much better crop.

My finished garden last year

No comments:

Post a Comment